The lost world of Android TV Box jargon
You’re in the market for a new Android TV box and you have no idea of the one you really need. The first searches on Google, Amazon or eBay can be quite daunting when the Tsunami of “Uber Mega Super Kodi Boxes” first washes over you. In truth the process is a really simple one and we’ve included some tips on how to get the best one for you and your family.
So why listen to me? What do I know? For the last 6 years I have witnessed the rise and rise of Android TV. When XBMC was just growing it’s wings we were developing Android Software and Apps to work along side it, we are still doing that today for most of the Android retailers in the world. There isn’t much we do not know about Android TV and there is even less that we have not seen and I hope to pass some of that knowledge on to you to support your purchase in Android TV.
Let’s get one thing clear
Android TV boxes are not burning down houses, they won’t eat your children and they are not taking all our women and jobs. Despite what the media would love you believe.
In actual fact there is very little difference between an Android TV box and your Android phone. The only difference is one outputs via a HDMi lead to your TV and the other has a built in touch screen display. The way they work is pretty much the same.
The Android TV box market breaks down in to 3 simple categories.
- Branded device (Amazon Fire, Nvidia Shield, Zoomtek)
- Chinese devices (MX H96, T5)
- Chinese devices branded by a retailer (DroidBox, WizardBox, TickBoxTV and so on)
The safest bet is always with the branded devices. Not always due to the quality of the device but more to do with the simple returns policy you get with the likes of Amazon plus the fact these companies always invest in development and improve their products.
There is nothing wrong with either of the Chinese options but the devices are mass produced to the scale where quality of the product is less important than the speed of the production. You will find that generally 20% of these imports are faulty or will develop a fault in under 12 months.
If you go it alone on Alibaba you will get the best price but you will take the chance on the 80-20 rule and returning to China may end up costing enough to have paid for a Nvidia Shield. The smart play here if you are in the price game is use one backed by a retailer in your country. Even better if you find them on Amazon but to name a few of the web based retailers, EzeTV (Ireland), MuviBox (LA), Cronnex (UK) and Santa Cruz (NY).
The spec of the device
Don’t be fooled by the science there is only one thing you need to invest in here. Buy the box with the highest GB RAM that you can afford. That’s it. The bigger the RAM means the better the everything. If you aren’t fine tuning your home cinema then the rest of the Android Box spec is of little importance to you. Android moves forward by the size of the RAM, if you want to have many happy years with your new device buy as much RAM as you can afford.
Typically you’re going to see 2 numbers branded about the most and they tend to look like this 1GB + 8GB, this means 1GB of RAM and 8GB of ROM (or hard drive space). When it comes to the generic devices avoid 1GB of RAM like your ex partner. They simply are not powerful enough to cope with the demands of today’s software. They will be a lot cheaper but even at £1.00 it would be £1.00 wasted.
96 max TV Box Android 8.1
This device comes with 3GB RAM and that’s the gold we are looking for. Easily powerful enough to support Kodi, Apply and a whole host of other Android applications for many years to come.
- H96 Max TV BOX with 4G DD3, 32G EMMC, is the highest profile on the market, powered by latest Android 8.1 system and RK3328 Quad Core CPU and Penta-Core Mali-450
- The H96 Max Android 8.1 TV BOX has 1 High speed USB 3.0 and 3 High speed USB 2.0, Support mouse and keyboard via USB, Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle, meet people’s different requirements
- Colorful appearance design is so beautiful, furthermore, this H96 Max TV Box is also a practical and portable entertainment device, is a good choice for gift
- Android TV Box built-in 2.4G 5G dual band wifi, support DLNA, 3D Movie, put everything you like on to the big screen television, is a good partner of your projector and 4K large screen TV
- H.265 Hardware Video Decode and 4k 2k Full HD Output, low latency, low bit rate, low bandwidth, high resolution, connect to the internet more faster and get higher quality picture
A95x Pro Android 7.1 TV Box, 2GB 4K
- VOICE CONTROL—With the introduction of voice activation ,it’s now possible to use android voice commands to control your TV box.Not only watch movies and cartoon on this box,it also supports social apps.
- *ANDROID 7.1 OS—Most of softwares, games and applications can be installed or uninstalled with high speed and smooth performance.
- *2GB RAM AND 16GB ROM—It enables app and program to run smoothly and quickly, delivering a richer end-user experience.
- *Supported 4K UHD—VP9 decoding saved 50% bandwidth resources, makes 4K HD video watched smoothly.
- *100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE—We offer 30-days 100% money-back guarantee and 1 year warranty for any quality-related issues.
Globmall Android 7.1 TV Box
This nice looking device is half the power of the one above but don’t let that put you off. 2GB of RAM will work just fine for you especially if you’re on a budget.
Price: £30.99 / Price $48.99